Friday, November 4, 2011

Leash or unleash

My husband and I walk our dogs twice a day on the leash because with it is safer for us, for all those around us. They are not fierce dogs nor do they attack. The leash helps us control them, making sure they do not get knock down by cars, kicked by people who do not like dogs. Back in the UK, I would let my old dog off leash at the park so that she can have a run around. She would never go far. Always looking back for me. I feel safer as the park is well away from the roads, there are lots of space and there are other dogs that she can play with. Malaysia is different. There is one or two parks that is dog friendly and it has to be on leash. Now I have seen owners walking their dogs off leash here, while walking on the pavement on a busy road. Yes, your dog may be well behave, well trained but what if he sees a cat across the street? How are you going to stop him? Before you know it, he would have run across the street chasing the cat. Now imagine the road full of cars and your dog running across it. What are the chances that your dog will NOT get knock down by a car?

Be a responsible owner. Always leash your dog when on main roads or if there are people you know that may not like dogs.